Ashton-under-Lyne . com

Origins of Street Names in Ashton under Lyne

This page looks at the origin of street names in Ashton. The accompanying page lists Ashton street names that have changed.

Origins of Street Names of Ashton under Lyne

Below is a list of origins of some street names in Ashton. Further streets may be added to this list.

street name origin
Stamford Street Named after the Earls of Stamford, major land-owners in the area. Previously called New Street and Henrietta Street.
George Street, Grey Street Named after George Harry Grey, 5th Earl of Stamford.
Booth Street, Delamere Street These are named after family names of the Earls of Stamford and Warrington.
Warrington Street Named after the Earl of Warrington, related by marriage to the Earl of Stamford.
Henrietta Street Named after Henrietta Cavendish-Bentinck, wife of George Harry Grey, 5th Earl of Stamford. The name was originally given to the street that is now Stamford Street.
Margaret Street Named after Margaret Cavendish-Bentinck, Duchess of Portland, mother of Henrietta Cavendish-Bentinck.
Elizabeth Street Named after Elizabeth Cavendish-Bentinck, daughter of Margaret Cavendish Bentinck, Duchess of Portland.
Cavendish Street, Bentinck Street Named after the Cavendish-Bentincks, family of the Earls of Stamford and Portland.
Welbeck Street Named after Welbeck Abbey, home of the Bentinck family, Earls of Portland.
Portland Street Named after the Bentinck family, Earls of Portland.
William Street Named after William Cavendish-Bentinck, 3rd Duke of Portland.
Henry Square Originally called New Square, it was renamed Henry Square in 1800, the year after the death of Henry Grey, son of the 5th Earl of Stamford, in the shipwreck of HMS Weasel in Barnstaple Bay.
Katherine Street (Pronounced to rhyme with "fine") Named after Lady Katherine Charteris Wemyss, wife of George Harry Grey, 6th Earl of Stamford.
Penny Meadow The eastern part of Katherine Street was re-named Penny Meadow in 1962. The name comes from the Reverend John Penny, parish priest of St Michaels in the 18th century. The land was known as Penny Meadow before Katherine Street was built.
Scotland Street A scot or sceot was an ancient form of parish tax and it was thought to be in this area that people came to pay this tax. (Same origin as 'scot-free')
Old Cross Street The old Market Cross stood at the bottom of this street, at the junction with Old Street. The old cross is now in Stamford Park.
Glebe Street The name "Glebe" denotes that land in this area belonged to the church.
Darnton Road After Henry Thomas Darnton, Mayor of Ashton 1867-69.
Mellor Road After George Mellor, Mayor of Ashton 1875-78.
Park Parade Ashton's bypass takes its name from a street that disappeared when the bypass was constructed. The original Park Parade ran between Warrington Street and Booth Street and was built like a promenade with the ground dropping steeply away to one side. It also gave its name to the long-gone Park Parade Station. The name Park comes from the area by the river being at one time a small hunting park for the Lord of the Manor. The main hunting park was to the north of the town, around what is now called Park Bridge.
Whitelands The route into Ashton of one of the salter's roads via Whitelands Ford (later County Bridge). Whitelands Road took its name from Whitelands.
Currier Lane The original main route to the east. A currier was a craftsman who finished leather after the tanning process, to make it flexible and waterproof. There were several tanners and curriers in the area east of the town so that the prevailing winds blew unpleasant smells away from the town itself.
Cobden Street After Richard Cobden, Stockport MP who campaigned for Free Trade and opposed the Corn Laws which imposed tarriffs on imported cereals keeping prices artificially high.
Bright Street After John Bright of Rochdale, also an MP supporting Free Trade and co-founder with Cobden of the Anti-Corn Law League in 1838.
Villiers Street After Charles Pelham Villiers, an MP for 63 years, supporter of Free Trade and the Anti-Corn Law movement.
Grafton Street After Augustus Henry Fitzroy, 3rd Duke of Grafton, who had been Prime Minister 1768-70 and prominent Unitarian.
Whiteacre Road Crossed an area known as the White Acre.
Curzon Road After Assheton Curzon, 1st Viscount Curzon, whose mother was the daughter of Sir Ralph Assheton. He was an MP before entering the House of Lords.
Alexandra Road After Princess Alexandra, popular Pricess of Wales for 38 years before becoming Queen when her husband Prince Albert became King Edward VII. She became Queen Mother when her son became King George V (after whom the playing fields at the top of Alexandra Road are named).
Bengal Lane Takes its name from the small hamlet of Bengal, which had been situated roughly where Parry Walk now stands. The name Bengal pre-dated Clive's 1757 victory in Bengal and may owe its name to a traveller passing through on his way to Bengal in 1754.
Cowper Street After Paul Cowper, who owned Hurst Mount Mill off Mount Pleasant Street between 1844 and 1883.
Beachamp Street After the 6th Earl Beachamp (pronounced "Beecham"), a politician who served under Disraeli and Salisbury.
Jersey Street After George Child Villiers, the 5th Earl of Jersey, a Conservative politician of the mid 19th century, whose son married Julia, the daughter of Prime Minister Sir Robert Peel. (Distant relation of Liberal MP Charles Pelham Villiers.)
Melville Street After Robert Dundas, the 2nd Viscount Melville, a 19th century politician who had held several prominent positions including First Lord of the Admiralty. Because of his interest in arctic exploration, Melville Sound and Melville Island in Canada were named after him.
Cranbrook Street After Viscount Cranbrook. Gathorne Hardy, 1st Earl of Cranbrook, became Home Secretary and Secretary of State for India.
Minto Street After Lord Minto. Gilbert Elliot-Murray-Kynynmound was 1st Earl of Minto (Scotland) and became Governor General of India. His great-grandson, the 4th Earl of Minto, became more famous, becoming Governor General of Canada and Viceroy of India, but after the time the street had been named.
Elgin Street After Lord Elgin. James Bruce was Earl of Elgin and Kincardine (Scotland) and became Governor General of Canada, High Commissioner to China and Viceroy of India.
Cranbourne Road After Lord Robert Cecil, Viscount Cranbourne, who was Secretary of State for India. Later, as the Marquis of Salisbury, he became Prime Minister three times.
Clive Street After Major-General Robert Clive ("Clive of India") who was British Commander-in-Chief in India in the 1750s and 1760s. Clive's pet tortoise died in 2006.
Taunton Road The original main road towards Oldham, leading to the village of Taunton, situated along Newmarket Road.
Crowhill Estate Nearly every Road, Avenue, Grove and Crescent on the older part of Crowhill Estate is named after a place in or near the Lake District:
Buttermere, Coniston, Derwent, Grasmere, Windermere, Ullswater, Thirlmere, Rydal, Scafell, Ambleside, Kendal, Bowness, Lakeside, Borrowdale, Furness, Ennerdale, Patterdale, Keswick, Penrith.
Most roads on the newer part of Crowhill Estate are named after places in Northumberland, Durham and Cumbria:
Morpeth, Rothbury, Croxdale, Marsden, Bamburgh (Castle), Barnard (Castle), Lindisfarne (Castle), Belsay (Castle), Hilton (Hylton Castle), Seaton (Seaton Delaval), Inglewood (Forest).
Roads off Richmond Street named after after towns situated, like Richmond, alongside the River Thames:
Henley Drive, Windsor Drive, Eaton Drive (mis-spelling of Eton).
Platting Grove Close to the site of Taunton Platting, a plank footbridge alongside the ford where the old road to Oldham crossed Taunton Brook.
Tree House Avenue Thought to be a reference to a very old yew tree that stood in the area, or possibly a corruption of "Three Houses".
Anglesey Road, Blucher Street, Ney Street, Picton Street These streets in Waterloo were named after military figures involved in the Battle of Waterloo. Field Marshal Henry Paget, Marquess of Anglesey, led the British cavalry charge at Waterloo. Field Marshall Blucher led the Prussian army also fighting Napoleon. Marshal Michel Ney, Duke of Elchingen, led the French cavalry at Waterloo and was noted for his personal bravery. Lieutenant General Thomas Picton was the most senior officer to die in the Battle of Waterloo. Brunswick Street (now gone) and Wellington Street West and East (now renamed Wellington Clough and Downshaw Road) were named after the Dukes of Brunswick and Wellington, prominent British army leaders at Waterloo.
Gambrel Bank Road After old names for the area, Gamerog Bank, Gamber Hill Bank.
Vicarage Road Named after Christ Church Vicarage which was built there in 1863, although now replaced by a smaller modern building.
Everest Avenue, Hillary Avenue, Tensing Avenue, Hunt Avenue, Mallory Avenue Celebrating the 1953 conquest of Mount Everest - named after the mountain itself, Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tensing Norgay, first to reach its summit, John Hunt, who led the 1953 expedition and George Mallory, who died on an earlier attempt.
Lockingate Street After Locking Gates, a location on Lily Lanes, approximately where Carlisle Crescent is now.
Hartshead Estate Nearly every Avenue, Drive, Grove and Close on Hartshead Estate is named after one of the following:
- Cathedral: St Albans, Nottingham, Bristol, Peterborough, St Asaph, Brecon, Rochester, Plymouth, Carlisle, Guildford, St Davids, Exeter, Hereford, Salisbury, Truro, Westminster, Winchester, Norwich, Lincoln, Durham, Lichfield, Gloucester, Worcester
- Abbey: Alton, Whalley, Newstead, Rufford, Evesham, Tewksbury, Malvern
- Minster: Southwell, Beverley
- Forest: Sherwood, Charnwood, Epping, Exmoor, Bowland, Stainmore, Windsor
Smallshaw Estate Nearly every Road, Avenue, Grove and Crescent in the Smallshaw area is named after a former Mayor of Ashton under Lyne:
Bromley Crescent, after Frederick Bromley who served as Mayor 1896-8
Hall Road, after Martin Hall who served as Mayor 1908-9
Pollitt Avenue, after John Pollitt, Mayor 1907-8 and 1930
Burgess Avenue, after Harold Burgess, Mayor 1936-7
Heginbottom Crescent, after Hester Heginbottom, Mayor 1935-6
Broadbent Avenue, after John Broadbent, Mayor 1923-5 and Ernest Broadbent, Mayor 1927-8
Platt Avenue, after Samuel Platt, Mayor 1932-3
Greenwood Avenue, after Henry Greenwood, Mayor 1921-3
Massey Avenue, after James Massey, Mayor 1937-8
Broadhurst Grove, after John Broadhurst, Mayor 1918-20
Connery Crescent, after William Connery, Mayor 1943-4
Sheard Avenue, after Harry Sheard, Mayor 1930-1
Hilton Crescent After Thomas Hilton who served as Mayor 1940-1 and 1944.
Townsley Grove After Joseph Townsley who served as Mayor 1934-5.
Crossley Crescent After Joshua Crossley who served as Mayor 1928-9.
New Lees Street Close to the site of a group of cottages called Lees Fold.
Prospect Place Close to the site of Prospect Cottage, once the home of Oldham Whittaker of the mill-owning Whittaker family.
Prospect Road Originally led to Prospect House, home of Oldham Whittaker and John Whittaker Senior of the mill-owning Whittaker family. Possibly taking its name from Oldham's earlier home Prospect Cottage.
Hadfield Crescent After John Hadfield who served as Mayor 1945-6.
Leech Avenue Close to the site of a group of houses called Leech Fold.
Hazelhurst Estate Nearly every Road, Avenue, Grove and Drive on Hazelhurst Estate is named after a place in the Peak District:
Ashbourne, Bakewell, Matlock, Buxton, Castleton, High Peak, Kinder, Edale.
Lord Sheldon Way Named after Baron Sheldon who, as Robert Sheldon, was Ashton's MP between 1964 and 2001 and long-serving chairman of the House of Commons Public Accounts Committee.

See also Ashton street names that have changed.

Return to Previous Page

Visit the Local History index page to find out about more about places and events in Ashton.